Friday, October 31, 2008

Monte Alban / DF again

Hey everybody, now i´m in Oaxaca. Above is a photo of one of the pyramids in Monte Albán. It is an ancient city that is about 6km from Oaxaca. Yesterday I walked there and back. It was all uphill, so it took about 1.5 hours there, and 1 hour back. Needless to say, I´m a little sore today.

The amazing thing about being up here is that it´s on top of a mountain, and is surrounded by other mountains. The air is nice and clean up here, and everything is quiet. The city of Monte Albán is pretty large, and there are tunnels underneath the pyramids which priests used to pop out of so the common folk thought that they were gods. Sadly, you´re not allowed to crawl around under there for reasons of preservation, otherwise I would have been all over that.

Here´s me on top of one of the pyramids, with a nice background view of most of the city.


A three-wheeled Oaxacan taxi! Isn´t it cute? One of the drivers told me that they are made in India, so maybe I will see some while I am there.




This photo was taken on my last trip to Mexico City. I was there for two days between Guanajuato and Oaxaca. It is the Palacio de Bellas Artes. There are murals inside by Diego Rivera, Rudolfo Tanaya, and other famous Mexican artists. The copper dome on top of this building is really nice; it´s a little hard to tell because it was a cloudy day when I took this picture.
The hostel I stayed at in DF was nice. It wasn´t the HI, but a different one around the corner. I met a bunch of folks there and everyone was really friendly. I came to Oaxaca with 2 Swedish girls and an Australian who are sort of traveling together, who I met at the Mex. City hostel.
Tonight is Halloween and apparently it´s becoming a big deal in Mexico. So we are all going to try to make some sort of costumes and go out to enjoy the festivities. In two days it´s Dia de los Muertos, which is supposed to be a very good time in Oaxaca. I will be sure to get some good pictures and post them.
I hope everyone is doing great. Until next time...



3 comments:

Derek said...

sucks about the tunnels. Its like San Pedro all over again.

Albert, Simply Put said...

Man, that's a lot of mountain on mountain action... ;)

Pinky Royale said...

I would have loved to hit those tunnels up too. I would pop out of them and convince tourists that I am a god and make them give me their food or cameras or daughters, depending on my mood and needs at the time.
Those little taxis are called tuk-tuks in India. they had them in kenya too. They are fun!

Cities I've Visited